Introducing English Grammar describes and explains English grammar in light of current usage. It is aimed at students of English in teacher education and students who take an introductory course in English grammar at college/university level in Norway.
The third edition of Introducing English Grammar has been revised and updated, but retains the key points of the previous edition:
- alerting learners to the close ties between grammatical form, meaning and communicative function
- providing learners with good tools for improving their English
- giving practical advice through Notes for learners
- introducing learners to grammatical terminology so that they can make use of grammar notes from dictionaries and other sources
- making learners familiar with the basic clause structure of English
- comparing English with Norwegian in order to address specific learner problems and increase the students language awareness
- presenting ways of creating coherent texts that are adapted to context and purpose
- providing exercises focusing on practical as well as analytical skills, including the use of English-language corpora
The book has an accompanying website with a key to the exercises at https://intengram.portfolio.no/
Magne Dypedahl is Senior Lecturer in English at the University College of Southeast Norway.
Hilde Hasselgård is Professor of English Language at the University of Oslo.